PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ray Wilson (Scottish ACC) - RIP
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2005, 22:23
PPRuNe Radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topic 'stickied' for a few days so people can hear the sad news.

I understand from contacts that there was lots of pulling together of staff at ScOACC today. Although serving as Relief Watch Manager at ScOACC, Ray's 'spiritual home' Watch were on their first morning back after their days off and understandably there was a lot of trauma expected. As a result, the Night shift stayed over their duty time and the Day shifts came in early to provide any necessary cover if arriving staff felt unable to perform their duties after hearing the news. All this was volunteered by the staff themselves and was not forced upon them. Additionally, the Deputy General Manager met staff as they arrived and provided comfort and information as required. Kudos to them all for 'being there' when needed most and putting the 'team' above their own personal needs and feelings.

Special mention was also given to Jar Jar Binks who has handled the situation magnificently for all affected staff in spite of his own deep personal loss and trauma at losing a close friend, confidante, and colleague.

ATC is only a job at the end of the day, and things like this bring it in to perspective. But it's fantastic to see that a sense of comradeship and spirit will pull us all through when tough times come around.

I'll also add my condolences to everyone and acknowledge the deep loss to the NATS ATC community that this event has caused.