PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet ups the frills!
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2005, 20:51
neidin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runwayedge - sorry if the reality of life in Irish aviation has got your back up. I worked for long enough at DUB, ORK and SNN to see the light.

BMI Baby have just left ORK - LGW as Ezy arrive. I know the ORK MGMT were much happier with BABY on LGW. They think EZY will get blown out of the water over time by FR.

SNN well it is a basket case - can you tell me any other normal airport in the civilised world that PAYS an airline 50c per passenger. Daft - and then they announce they are sacking half their staff.

GWY - well it is doomed by its reliance on RE - who are doing badly on their UK routes. Just look at the CAA figures for ORK and Derry and you will see. RE will get hammered this summer on WAT-London by EZY, FR and EI ORK. RE will get hammered at ORK by BMI BABY on BHX and JET2 on Belfast. But RE gets the double whammy at GWY in '05 from the masive amount of low fares at NOC and SNN to London, Manchester - Liverpool - a bloodbath.

KIR will get a rough time as they are surrounded by ORK and SNN and huge amounts of low fares. At least KIR makes profits - but why can't they clean their old toilets.

Aviation in Ireland is not a charity pursuit. RE gets EURO 19 million a year from the Govt. to play. They offer a very poor service. Why not tell the truth - even if it hurts.

We praise Willy Walsh and Ryanair - only because they are keeping it real. And Walsh left today. Let's praise John Smyth at ORK for getting all these great routes - eevn if operationally the place is a mess. Let's praise CityJet as well.

But let's tell the truth! Even when it hurts.