PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wooden vs. Metal Props
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2005, 12:50
Kingy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps,

I as L'nS as indicated I have now replaced the props on all three of my aircraft with Italian G.T. props. They are made from ash with a carbon fibre leading edge. The Cub has now done over 250 hours with the GT and it's pretty much as good as new despite having been caught out by some pretty heavy rain on occasion!

Performance benefits are really quite stunning over both Lodge and Sensenich and they are beautifully made. GT claim that there is a slight variable pitch effect due to the blades flexing at high RPM - not sure about this, but on my Sky scooter for example the climb rate has more than doubled!

Anyway, back to the question - I am always a little nervous about seeing a metal prop on an the sorts of taildraggers I get to fly, nose over and you are looking at a shock loaded engine. As already stated they are heavier, which will increase gyroscopic precession. They are generally they are thought to have performance benefits over wood, but I not so sure of this anymore - certainly thre GTs use much more advanced aerofoils than the average metal prop, which may have been certified perhaps 50 years ago - things move on!

BTW, Im not connected with GT in any way – just a pleased customer.

Kingy