PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will Age Limit Pass This Time?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2005, 22:46
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the FAA continues to believe that overall cognitive abilities necessary for being an effective airline pilot may begin to deteriorate at 60.
Japan has, for some years now, allowed some pilots to extend beyond the mandatory 60 years retirement age, to 62, subject to a thorough P.E..
This 62 years will be increased to 65 years as of April (the start of the fiscal year in Japan) - again it will not apply to ALL pilots, generally only senior management or ex-C & T.
However it is my guess that 62 will then become the standard retirement age by de facto.

Japan (like most countries) faces an extremely acute shortage of pilots over the next few years, and as training for experienced foreigners coming to Japan takes a minimum of 6-7 months, this may give the airlines some breathing space.
However, salaries for Japanese pilots are probably the best in the world (approx. USD20k + allowances per month - unfortunately about 1/3 that for foreigners ), and it is my guess that there are many who have had enough, and got enough by 60 to want to give flying away.

I suspect that pressure from the airlines will see the age in the US upped this time around.