PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulators on Helicopter Blades ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2005, 18:16
Dave_Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zeeoo,

" i try to code a simulator that will compute the lift along a blade, with a transition between different airfoils and different twist values. Then i will compute the lift on the disk at different angles and airfoil combinations.
Since I'm not a math man, i slice the blade in N small elements to plot the lift/drag values."

What you are looking for is in Prouty's book 'Helicopter Performance, Stability and Control". He provides 21 steps, and their algorithms, to calculate the lift of rotors and their blades, in hover. The calculations are based on 'Combined Momentum and Blade Element Theory with Empirical Corrections'.

The inputs are;
Rotor geometry; - number of blades, radius, chord, twist, cutout and airfoil data.
Test conditions;- tip speed, atmospheric density, speed of sound.

I have coded it in Basic in Microsoft's Access database. The previous post was the NACA 0012 lift calculations Module from this program.

The problem was that I could only find valid algorithms for the NACA0012 and the 8-H-12 airfoils. The algorithms for other airfoils could only be guesstimated.

If you can find the algorithims for other airfoils, I'll trade the coding and forms for them.

_______

These pages will have some information, which you know of, and perhaps some that is new to you.
OTHER: Aerodynamic - Airfoil
OTHER: Aerodynamic - Blade Profiles

Dave