PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-What is Balpa for...??
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2005, 17:54
excrab

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
It really depends which are the comparitors when looking at salaries.

From the Balpa website (2004 figures)

Flybe jet capt 49,607 - 59,357
BA City express 49,905 - 63,562

Flybe TP Capt 42,263 - 52, 013
BACX 40,060 - 60,673

I'm not very good at maths, but that would seem to show that a flybe jet captain is somewhere between 0.6% and 7% down on what the most similar airline in the UK is paying, whilst the tp captains are between 5% up and 16% down depending upon where they are in years in rank.

Unless of course you are comparing flying the 146 with flying an A320 or a 737, which as Hudson states isn't really realistic - more seats = more pay.

The reason that I have bothered with this is that this shouldn't become a turboprop against jet issue - divide and rule is to the companies advantage, no one elses. The November seniority list shows that we have 27 more turboprop pilots than jet pilots, but as a lot of those joined since the payrise the split was probably fairly even at the time of the vote. Thus if the jet pilots were so set against the deal, and had cared enough to join Balpa and then bother to vote no, then the turboprop payrise would never have happened to the detriment of the jet pay scales (incidentally - although I fly the dash I voted against it for the reason I gave above).

What we now need is a paydeal to give both jet and turboprop either parity or an advantage over the competition at all points of the payscale from year 1 to year 15. As the tp year 1 is 5% ahead at the moment would that be a sensible aiming point?