PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGLL Tower on the Move
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2005, 11:22
fly bhoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its the old cloud base/ceiling thing again. (No way...I remember something from the college!!!!)

Technically if its only the cloud base thats at 200ft and not the cloud ceiling then we don't go into LVP's, but if that particular cloud base just happened to be round the VCR then I would say a weather standby would be in order as it also includes "when landing or take off is difficult or difficult to observe"

I would, however, think that the chances of there only being one cloud in the sky and it being right round the VCR, while the rest of the airfield has a beautiful gin clear day, are very remote!! More likely the rest of the airfield would be similar meaning that it would be a cloud ceiling and LVPs would be enforced.

Not trying to be pedantic, Gonzo, but it also really depends where the 100ft cloud base is as to whether or not Cat 2/3 protection is needed. If you've got FEW about 5 miles north of the airfield then I would say ILS protection probably isn't necessary?

What IS going to be interesting in the new tower is when the cloud ceiling is at 250ft and LVPs aren't in force but we can't see a thing out the window cos the tower's in the clouds!!

FB