PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet's bias against A320 pilots
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2005, 08:28
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 157 Likes on 32 Posts
Lightbulb It's true...... all aircraft do work the same!

I've been through the Easy 737 sim (successfully).

Having only flown the Bus for in excess of 6 years I was apprehensive about the 737-300 sim. Would I scan ok, would I trim ok, pitch/thrust couple, no flight directors, manual thrust, raw data only, no map!!, manually tune AND identify all navaids, would I remember the profiles / speeds, would I say "Flap 1" instead of "Flap 5". Oh the horror of it all.

To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail. Learn the profiles. Learn the power settings. Learn the pitch settings. If you do that and apply it in the sim, believe it or not it actually works. At the very least fly FS2002 to get your scan back on a "T" panel.

But most of all - JUST DO IT. Within a couple of minutes I was trimming just like I always used to. Steep turns. Navigating by needles. Raw procedure.Raw ILS. By the end of it I was actually enjoying it despite so much riding on the outcome!

The comment about a 320 candidate being a better bet than a 737 candidate is rubbish. Just because you have the type on your licence says nothing about your CRM, your situational awareness and most of all your ATTITUDE.

If you go in telling yourself "I can't do this, it's not fair" then the outcome is pretty certain. If you go in there with " this is going to be interesting, but I'll give all I've got" then chances are you'll adjust and probably be ok - provided you don't do anything stupid of course!

To those who have a ride coming up on an unfamiliar type all I say is prepare, prepare,prepare - it will make your life SO much easier.

Good luck to all

A4