PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the world need the A380 in 2006 ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2005, 23:05
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
VRThomas: In your earlier post, you express concern about electronic check-lists and routing, suggesting that the benefits of paper are still valid. They certainly are - for those that grew up with them!

I am in my 40s and grew up with paper so, although I have been involved with I.T. + Telecomms (+other things!) for over 25 years, I still prefer a peice of paper.

My 27 year old nephew who Captains J41s [although now converting to heavies, says proud uncle ] considers electronic flight bags as very interesting, as he grew up with computers. My teenage neice and nephew are even happier with a computer. So, electronic check-lists are not wrong or bad but they might be more difficult for older people to adapt to.

Another example, when my grandmother was in her 80s, push-button telephones came along I offered to get her one to make dialling easier with her arthritic fingers. She said, "Oh no dear, I wouldn't know which button to push!" So she used the rotary dial telephone until we called the undertaker... What we grow up with is, usually, what we like!

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.