PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just the tip of the iceberg......
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2001, 19:07
Ready

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

411A
I could not agree more. The american government should do a little bit of wait and see here before investing a huge pile of money into the american airlines. I am not against government intervention where it is required, but it will be healthier in a long run for the aviation industry if the highly paid employees, pilots and management alike for example, to be part of it as well.
Let's all pull the banwagon together instead of having some of us only riding on it. We all agree it is a tragedy directly related to aviation, but why should everybody else in the US feel the pinch while the highly paid pilots across the US (and around the world as a matter of fact) could keep their wages intact. It will probably save jobs as well at the bottom of the seniority list. Too many flights, too many routes, too many shiny and brand new airplanes half empty, too many pilots in some cases (at Air Canada here for example it's a big joke, btw I am not with AC), too many lucrative contracts, and the list goes on and on.
I am afraid that some clocks will be reset to where they should be and it's good. Money has to come from all walks of life, and not only from the average taxpayers. You wanna bet that the airline industry will come out of this healthier in about a year from now if it is done rightly. Every thing is cycles in life. Surfing on top of the waves may have just come to an end abruptly.
Let me resume by saying that the US government should sit down and talk with managements and unions alike country wise before doing anything else.
Sorry guys.