PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spatial Disorientation
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2005, 14:59
chopperchav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a low time private pilot (100 hours) and own a R44 and am hence not restricted by the self hire 2500' cloud base, 2 kt winds etc constraints. I guess that puts me in a dangerous group of accidents waiting to happen.
Having read umpteen accident reports, 'fatal traps', done the robinson safety course etc, I know that clouds=death. However, I have flown with two separate instructors in marginal conditions and have gone momentarily imc both times. Knowing clouds=death I s**t myself both times and questioned wether these instructors were wrong to expose me to these conditions hence encouraging me to fly on my own in similar weather.
As a novice pilot I am ever hungry for experience and am glad to have experienced those conditions with an instructor and not on my own and feel I am better pilot as a result of it.
I feel the 5 hours learning instrument flying would be better spent flying in marginal conditions with an experienced instructor learning how to maintain vmc (ie. go lower and slower etc.).
However, having witnessed a guy jump out of an R44 yesterday with wife and two small boys and 'dog' and rotors still winding down, boys running under tail boom (I kid you not), I guess some people will kill themselves no matter what you try and teach them. No wonder us owner pilots get a bad reputation.