PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spatial Disorientation
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2005, 13:46
Homer_Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very though provoking thread. I can only echo the sentiments of those out there advising against unplanned IMC in that avoiding it is the best cure for it. Land if you have to and wait for an improvement in the weather.

There seem to be some on here that consider that going unplanned IMC while not trained to instrument fly will solve the danger posed by the weather. All you have done is traded one simple problem for a much tougher one. If you manage to control the aircraft and keep it under control, eventually you will have to land before the fuel runs out. That means an instrument approach, if the weather is good enough. If not you could end up right back where you started.

I am a reasonably experienced rotary wing instrument pilot. In a former life I was an Instrument Rating Examiner for the organisation I worked for. IMHO, the toughest instrument flying you will ever do, even if you are fully trained and current, is fly into IMC unplanned and get your butt safely back on the ground. This is especially so if you are single pilot without any AFCS.

Do not be afraid to turn back or land in the face of bad weather.

Press on itis occurs because people get away with it. Just because you got through the bad weather once does not make it safe. You can expect that whatever angels were sitting on your shoulder at that particular time will desert you if you fail to learn the lessons of pressing when you should turn back.