PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does an a/c fly invertedly?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2005, 08:13
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Bookworm,
Thanks, I understand that there is an accelaration of air over the upper surface of a plane. Bernoulli's theorem applies to constant mass flow and is normally illustrated in a venturi which is a closed system. A free wing is not a closed system and need not necessarily have the same constant mass flow above and below the wing.
If I understand your explanation of the vortex theory then there must be an equal and opposite force to the weight of the lifted stucture under the wing. Is this why I am buffeted by a helicopter in the hover in that a mass of air equivalent to the weight of the helicopter is accelarated by 1g by the rotating wing to oppose the acceelaration of earth's gravity? If so how why don't I feel this under an aircraft, I would have expected a 230 tonne downforce shortly after rotation of a large jet would be quite noticeable in the area just off the runway?

Astra Driver
I am not sure which greater area you are refering to and how it compresses air, your equation would seem to indicate expansion (if you are refering to wing area). Bernoulli's theorem is only valid for an incompressible fluid in closed system. The air is compressible and a wing exists in an open system, it is not one half of a venturi.