PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Descent Clearance
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2001, 01:27
NextLeftAndCallGround

You know, I nearly put something in the post about the AN124 - I should have known someone would pick me up on it!

But seriously, the 124 doesn't do it because it has a computer that makes it do it.

I've heard it said that the 124 will sit on the runway at take-off power (or close to) for three minutes before rolling because if the engines keep going that long, there's a fair chance they'll keep going for the rest of the flight. I gather the more correct reason is to ensure that engines are suitably lubricated etc and it takes that long at high power to do so.

It's obvious from your post that the way in which the 124 operates has stuck in your mind and so makes my point - no-one with any sense would design that into an aeroplane. Maybe there's a good reason for the 124 to operate in this way but why would a modern aeroplane need three minutes to set off downwards when a pilot can do it in seconds?

I guess with all the powerful computers available these days we'll just have to get used to this sort of progress.