PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANN dash 8 contract and Interview Help(Merged).
Old 23rd Jan 2005, 21:28
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of what JapJok has penned, has also been my experience here.
It's not a "Japan bashing session", Stereolab, it is - unfortunately - a statement of some of the FACTS of life.
In the case of JAL Express (as opposed to JapJok's company) the contract violations were never feigned to be "misunderstandings" - the contractual conditions in some cases were blatantly breached, and when this was pointed out the response was basically, "Tough titties - that's the way we're going to do it, and there's nothing short of leaving YOU can do!"

In several instances the F. A's and F.O. have had a discussion between themselves, in Nihongo, and made an operational decision without my (the Captain's) involvement. These "discussions" usually go on for several minutes, with the F.O. totally out of the loop.
Without a doubt, some of the (Japanese) crew - F.O's and F.A's - will try to take liberties with gaijin Captains that they would never dream of trying with Japanese Captains.
Such is the attitude of Japanese toward foreigners in Japan.

As a foreign First Officer, I can only imagine how low down the scale you must be considered!

For you, Stereolab, having a Japanese wife will almost certainly put you at an greater advantage than those foreigners living in Japan, who don't - except at work.

JapJok's statement,
"You will spend more time outside of work than you will at work"
needs to be heeded.
At work, it will be up to YOU to try to maintain your authority.
Yes CRM is something that is talked about, however Japanese culture runs deeper than any Western imposed concept, and so it will be important for you to "stake your territory" by learning precisely where you should sit in a taxi...the seat changes, depending upon the number of people, 2, 3, or more.
Where to walk, when walking with the crew.
Any other carriers out there that are hiring?
Heaps, right now! Some in the Singapore region, some in Malaysia.
Why restrict yourself to a turboprop position, when there are operators who are SCREAMING out for pure jet drivers eg A320 - and will endorse?!

One for JapJok - "XYZ alter your heading 10 degrees to the left."
"Check your side.....my side clear."
Professional airmanship at its BEST