PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Budget wireless and Xbox set up.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2005, 15:09
timmcat

Nice-but-dim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget wireless and Xbox set up.

Help!

Just decided (finally) to get Broadband here at home. I have a scenario for which I need to work out the most cost effective solution.

Main PC is in the rear lounge of the house, with an adjacent telephone point. The modem being supplied by the isp is a USB model, which can sit beside the PC and phone point.

In another ground floor room (son's bedroom) is another PC which I wish to share the broadband service - more importantly, next to the PC is his beloved xbox which he is wanting to use on the 'xbox live' service.

Now, I have a vague understanding of the router / adapter theory, but, more precisely, what do I need? Son has agreed to pay for the wireless setup and as he is on limited funds, I'm intending getting the gear off ebay and dont want to make any mistakes. So, my questions - do I need a standalone wireless router, or, as the modem is USB, do I need a combined modem / router? Secondly, what do I need at the other end? The PCI wireless adapters I have seen don't seem to have an ethernet socket in so I can hook up the xbox. Do I just plug it in to the network card in the PC? Thirdly, is there a particular standard / speed of data transfer I should be aiming for?

Cheers in advance.