PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the world need the A380 in 2006 ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2005, 14:25
VRThomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much too soon, or just too much?

After further research I see that the 747 program investigated stretching the upper deck full length for the 47-300 (SUD) developement. Why didn't they persue it further? Was it a technical decision or a marketing choice. Was anyone there???

In so far as the hydraulics Etc. Neccesity is the mother of invention. I have no doubt that in this day and age that pretty well ANY system could be adapted to be as big, or as small as required. From monster machines to nanotechnology, anything is possible.

Maybe I am too "old school" but some of the conversion to electronic and automatic displays have not neccessarily been more effective as. Having a checklist in your hand helps to keep the crew in the loop and focussed on the task at hand. Some of the FMS operations are truly baffling and are slowly nudging the pilots towards more data entry technicians. All lot of the navigating we do is just not that complicated that we require this level of computer control. Complacency is one of our arch enemies up there after all.

I am still hesitant to give Airbus the credit they seek for this overweight, overbudget, overrated(?), behemoth.

VRThomas