PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silverstone GP Heli Ops
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2004, 20:53
surfingatco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I'm one of the 9 (SRG approved) ATCOs who were handling the helicopters over the Silverstone weekend. My "day job" is as a Heathrow Approach controller at LTCC - others come from Southend, Shoreham, LACC, Stansted, Birmingham and Booker, ably supported by a team of assistants and led by a SATCO and ATC Manager (you know who you are!)

Basically, the airfield is split into 2 halfs - 24/06 tarmac and 24/06 grass, each with around 16 stands. 3 controllers at a time control the North side, another 3 control the south side. Each helicopter is allocated a colour and a number for the north side and a colour and a letter for the south side. Helicopters join on prescribed routes on either side without crossing the line between north and south. The local controller then performs a kind of aerial ground movement control getting the inbounds to their stands whilst fitting in the departures. Phraseology is much abbreviated (and SRG approved) from MATS 1, eg. "Black black 6, gate 6" means "Black black 6 cleared to land runway 24 grass and taxi to stand 6, maintaining your own separatiion!" The colour is repeated to get round clipping R/T.

It was fairly quiet this year - you should've seen it in 1997 when we handled 4084 movements on the Sunday!

If you want any more info let me know.