PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAS Pilots leaving in huge numbers
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2005, 09:32
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

As an ex-MAS pilot, who left in '99, I still have a "soft spot" for that airline, and it has been a shame to see the "experience" being drained from it, as pilots leave to take positions that reward them far better than Malaysian does.
There MUST come the time when MAS is going to have to start to pay ABOVE market rates to attract pilots, as the loss of experience is leading them down a one-way street.

"Penny wise, but pound foolish"? Is that how MAS management could be described?
Rather than increasing salaries (and returning some of the conditions that Percy enjoyed taking away) by a reasonable amount, to keep their existing staff and plug the drain, it was decided to leave them low.
The salary INCREASES that MAS are now facing, are going to cost them multiples of what they have "saved".

the word around town is that the bosses are looking to hire cheap expat pilots
Well all I can say is "Good Luck"!!! So is Silk Air, Tiger Airways, JetStar Asia and JAL - on the latter, I have been reliably told that they alone, will be after 100 foreign Captains over the next 2-3 years.

I'm tipping MAS is going to (have to) be one of the TOP paying airlines within the next 5 years, because of the situation they have been manoeuvering themselves into (letting pilots walk) over the past few years!