PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying and Training (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2005, 20:39
tecpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Westy,

sorry i couldn't understand your hard fingerpointing...

To ease you... I've made a lot of such flights, also in germany.
The company needs an approval from the local CAA that's right. They need a Twin, a night pilot and all the stuff according to JAR-OPS. May be they get some special restrictions, flying routes, altitudes by the CAA. But the CAA needs some real and serious reasons to refuse the approval. If the CAA doesn't have that reasons, i would talk to my lawyer and bring the whole thing to court. The described mission is part of the business in the helicopterworld and it's absolutely ok to perform such a mission. If M.Jackson or Mick Jagger, or any ex-president and of course their ordered helicopter companies could get such approvals, why should the CAA refuse the same to MR.X?
If the weather is ok, the landing site and obstacle situation too, the pilot and the ship according to law, i couldn't see a reason why not? The described mission is on the normal risk level, or other, could performed safe if well arranged.
I'm a rotorhead and i hate it, that a taxi or a plank should get our money and the client lose his time. Safe or unsafe? There is allways a risk in flying helicopters. If we try to lower the risk to the lowest level, we could only perform some sightseeing flights in IFR twins with IFR pilots around an airfield on day and phantastic weather. Cancel longline, EMS, off-shore, night flights, test and evaluation flights and the helicopter is dead. Is a car free of risks? The plank safer than a train?
We don't talk about cancelling parts of our business, we talk about the best way to perform our missions.

By the way, how many officers in the local CAA's in germany are
1. Helicopter qualified,
2. Turbine or twin turbine qualified,
3. HELICOPTER NIGHT QUALIFIED?
That's only the basics, how many of the poor officers have any kind of experience in such missions and night flying? Short, how many are able to give qualified and court proofed answers to such questions?

order a taxi or other transportation because of the probable bad weather... the above mentioned airfield is about a half hour car drive away, maybe 45 min
Ever seen the streets after a great event? Or only fear about the entertainer...

Last edited by tecpilot; 22nd Jan 2005 at 22:05.