PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PC Crashing - Overheat, memory or Infected??
Old 22nd Jan 2005, 16:12
Toxteth O'Grady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on which temp is which.

Configure the Speedfan tabs in the following order:

FANS Tab

The three fans are displayed. Select the fans shown below one at a time and use the F2 key to rename them:

Winbond W83627HF
Fan1-Rename to "CPU"
Fan2-Rename to "NB"

Winbond W83627THF
Fan2-Rename to "CPU"

Check the box in front of Fan1 and Fan2. Fan 3 isn't used and this keeps it from showing up in other tabs.

Temperatures Tab

Click on a temperature in the displayed list. At the bottom of the screen you will get a desired temperature (fan speed is controlled around this temperature) and a warning temperature (fan speed is set to 100% at this temperature). There is also a checkbox "Show in Tray". You can check this for only one temperature. It is then displayed in the tray (if you hold the mouse over the temperature, all temperatures are displayed in the popup).

Use the F2 Key to rename as follows:
Winbond W83627HF
Temp1-Rename to "System"
Temp2-Rename to "CPU"
Temp3-Rename to "NB" [However, if board has no sensor, ignore 3]
Winbond W83627THF
Temp2-Rename to "CPU"
Temp3-Rename to "System"

If you have and hard drives with SMART and they have temperature monitoring they will show in this list as well. Since these boards don't control the system fan the temperature setpoints don't need to be set.

Expand each temperature by clicking on the "+" in front of it. This will show all configured fans and you can choose which fans the selected temperature should control. A single temperature can control more than one fan (in my case I use CPU temperature to control CPU and NB fans, since the NB temperature isn't real for these boards).

Voltages

These should all be checked and are correctly displayed.

Speeds

Winbond W83627HF
Sensor Pwm1-Use F2 and rename to "Speed CPU".
Sensor Pwm2-Use F2 and rename to "Speed NB".

Winbond W83627THF
Sensor Pwm2-Use F2 and rename to "Speed CPU".

When you click a fan, the bottom of the screen gives you two boxes where you can set the minimum value and maximum value. Setting either fan to a minimum value of 0 will allow it to stop. A setting of 1 may result with the fan speed signal saying 0 although the fan still runs. I find the fans are noisy at low speed so I set the minimum to 10. You can set the maximum value to whatever you want; if it is less than 100 then the fans won't run full speed until the warning temperature controlling that fan is reached.

If you want the fan speed controlled, check the "Automatically variated" box.

Options

Select the font colors and size you want. You will probably want to check "Start minimized" to put it in the tray on start.
Don't check the "Enable Dell..." box.
You can check "set fans to 100% on program exit" which is a good idea. I have "ISA BUS" and "SMBus" both checked.
Select Celsius or Fahrenheit.

Advanced

SpeedFan sets up these settings OK by default. I find if you select this tab and don't make changes sometimes they change anyway. The correct settings for Winbond W83627HF are:

Winbond W83627HF
Temperature sensor diode 1 - Thermistor diode
Temperature sensor diode 2 - PII diode
Temperature sensor diode 3 - Thermistor diode
Winbond W83627THF
Temperature sensor diode 1 - Thermistor diode
Temperature sensor diode 2 - PII diode
Temperature sensor diode 3 - Thermistor diode

PWMOUT1 clock - 23.43 KHZ
PWMOUT2 clock - 23.43 KHZ
Fan 1 Divisor - 8
Fan 2 Divisor - 8

Fan 3 Connector
The Fan3 connector on the motherboard has no speed regulation and no speed monitoring. Thus it is only capable of running a small fan at full speed, so you may as well connect a fan direct to the power supply cable instead of the board.

Temperature Corrections
If a manufacturer uses a non-standard sensor and SpeedFan reports a different temperature than the hardware, you can go to CONFIG / ADVANCED and set the TEMP OFFSET.