PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2005, 12:18
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Rotorspeed,

It could have happened to any helicopter that was there at the time (assuming it was Wake Turbulence...or any other cause in reality) but it was not any other kind of flight.

It was an EMS flight, it was an EMS helicopter, It was an EMS crew, It was assigned to an EMS operation, and it was operated by an EMS operator, and had just dropped off a patient at the hosptial and was heading home to its base with the EMS crew onboard.

Just why is this not an accident attributable to "EMS"?

Yesterday, I read a post by some wizard that said this year's EMS accident rate is actually lower than last years. That is an interesting observation....This year alone...and if we take the first two weeks rate as a base...we are looking at a total of about 48 fatal crashes for this year. Last years rate was more like one per month average.

We cannot use two weeks to judge the rate for the year.

We cannot judge this year to last so early in the year.

And for my two cents worth....we cannot accept a fatal crash per month as being "acceptable losses".

I am a realist....we will never have a "zero" rate of EMS crashes....but we can set a goal that tries to acheive that can we not.