PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heard on the RT the other day
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2002, 16:06
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Manchester, a winters night in the early '80s. Approach, to an inbound 1-11:-

"speedbird 123 we've reports of light icing above FL50, severe icing below. Also turbulence, moderate to severe at all levels but particularly bad on final approach with windshear reported. Previous landing aircraft report loss and gain of airspeed in excess of 20 knots on final approach. Visibility is 1200 metres in hail showers. The runway is wet, braking action poor."

There was a silence, before Speedbird replied:

"Roger all that. You forgot to mention the flack!"

And one of my own, also at Manch in early '80s. I'm taxying a 172 from the southside to the north side freight apron (when it was near the domestic pier) for refuelling prior to going parachute dropping at Burscough. After crossing the main behind a landing 757, I was cleared to the freight apron. As I neared the main taxyway which I was to cross, another 757 was powering along it on his way to the 24 hold and didn't look like he was going to stop. So I transmitted:

"Tower, confirm Tango Sierra is cleared all the way to the freight apron?"

Back came the reply:

"Tango Sierra affirm. Break. Shuttle 2 Hotel give way to the Cessna right to left in front."

The big Boeing dipped its nose as it eased to a halt a little to my left. And the captian, looking down from his lofty lair, transmitted:

"My pleasure. Sail before steam!"

SSD