PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters & Geocaching
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2005, 16:14
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down GA Aiport Security - No Challenge?

Okay, so I'm in the area by KGAI and thought that I would try this "reverse" Geocache thing where you log an airport by taking a picture and showing the coordinates. It's not the normal Geocache where you find a box of goodies under a tree for your kids or something, but I thought it would be fun to share with my fellow Geo-Nerds anyway... especially since this one (click here) was aviation related.

So, here I am at Montgomery Airpark (GAI) just a few minutes north of Washington, D.C. I have a camera in one hand and a GPS in another. I was wandering around the area taking pictures and getting coordinates from my GPS. I fully expected to be questioned by someone in the area, but nobody seemed to care.

Now, I wasn't acting sneaky... I was in plain sight and dressed casual. So, I suppose it would be natural for nobody to really take notice. HOWEVER, I start walking though towards the flight area... taking pictures and holding a GPS in the air to get readings. The flight area had a fence around the perimeter, barbed at the top, with a security code to open the gates.

So, I walk RIGHT THROUGH an open security gate, which was supposed to remain closed, taking pictures and holding a GPS in the air... and NOBODY looked at me twice. At this point, somebody should have asked me who I was, what I was doing, and to present some I.D. At least, that's what I expected to happen. Doesn't anybody pay attention to the GA Airport Watch Program (click here)?

P.S. Thanks, Gomer Pylot, I'll check that group out, too.