PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reduced Vertical Separation for America
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2005, 06:13
whauet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad someone posted this subject - I was on a UA flight last week and while listening to their Channel 9 on the IFE (for those that are not familiar, UA offers Channel 9 as an option to listen to ATC at the discretion of the Captain).

While passing through SLC control, I heard an exchange between a flight crew (while being delayed clearance to a higher FL due to traffic) and ATC briefly discussing the subject. At one point, the FC made the statement, "We'll be seeing a lot more passenger injuries."

I know that the US is a bit late in the game to take on RVSM domestically, but I was intrigued by the comment and wondered if there is any validity to the statement.

I'm not taking any stance on the subject, nor am I particularly concerned as I always keep belted in when seated, I just found it a curious statement. With crews believing that there may be an increased danger, would that not cause even more issues with aircraft not feeling comfortable in complying with RVSM procedures and deciding to follow routings that would avoid the reduced minimums?

Just clearing a nagging thought way in the back of my head since I heard that...

Thank you.

Last edited by whauet; 21st Jan 2005 at 06:25.