PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Companion License
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2005, 18:54
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no license which enables a person to be a companion to a pilot. You can carry your father without him having any training at all.

I don't know the details of the course that you're looking at, but I would imagine it is what I would call a "safety pilot" course. The type of course I am thinking of is aimed at the potential passenger who might think "I'd love to fly with X, but what if he has a heart attack and drops dead? I wouldn't have a clue how to land the plane." The course teaches them to keep the plane flying safely, make emergency calls on the radio, and land well enough that if they damage the plane they will at least do minimal damage to themselves. At the end of this course, they have no qualifications whatsoever, but hopefully they have enough confidence to be able to go flying without fear of the worst.

(Statistically, of course, this course is very unlikely to be any practical use at all, because pilots don't generally drop dead of heart attacks whilst at the controls. But it will at least enable the passenger to help out the pilot with his flying duties, if the pilot so wishes.)

FFF
-------------