PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Strike Looms Large at Air Log in the GOM
Old 20th Jan 2005, 13:31
SASless

Received 561 Likes on 230 Posts

I am sure there are pilots that will gladly jump into that fire...young pilots looking for a break....older guys that have retired and want to make some quick money. Your suggestion that a forced landing in the water might get a different reaction from anyone that could help, I do not think is fair. Up and until one discerns no passengers are involved maybe.

Seriously, I wonder how many pilots Air Log needs to survive when the strike occurs? Can they get enough contract pilots and shuffle the strap hangers out of the office in sufficient numbers to cover the need?

How are the customer guys going to take to the new guys....old relationships are serious business to Boudreau and Thibodeau down there. They like to fly with "their" pilot. This is not like the North Sea where they climb onto a bus for the ride out to the rig. The Gomers ride in small helicopters and spend a lot of time with "their" pilot. Some of these pilots have been on the same contract for years and years.....brand loyalty as you suggest is not with Air Log but with the individual pilot.

As I recall from the outset of this....the initial cost to the company was going to be around Eight Million dollars per year (assuming they accepted the initial demand by the union)....why is it they are going to all of this hate and discontent to fight the union? T

It appears they are willing to spend far more fighting than what it was going to cost initially. The cost could have been taken out of the bonus payments to the upper management and still left over Ten Million Dollars for bonus payments to the senior managers.

Now, I do not claim to be a business wizard...but at some point....logic and reason should enter into a business decision. I fail to see any in the company position here. It seems they are fighting purely for the fight and not with an identifiable goal.

You have any suggestion as to what motivates the company? I know what the union is after....better pay, benefits, and work environment. What is it that is such a bee in the bonnet to the management that provokes this fight?