PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Icing and De-Icing
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2005, 13:31
Approaching Minimums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering of de-icing, one question arised in my mind when I was at the airport recently. I noticed the departure of one MD-80 which took Type IV fluid de-icing prior to departure but only to the wings and stabilisers. The captain didn't seem to care to wash the top of fuselage even there was snow. It was also constantly snowing at the time so the amount of snow incresed all the time during taxi.

I know that aircrafts which have aft/tail mounted engines are very sensitive with this snow issue as during the take-off run all this snow might get ingested to engine causing a flame-out or in worst case dual flame out of engines just after V1.

At the time all other aircrafts (A320s, B737s, Turboprops) took de-icing and complete fuselage was treated as well so it was quite obvious that this particular MD-80 should have been treated similary.

My question is how common it is trying to save some money and time by deciding not to take de-icing? I know that a couple of times ATC has not issued take-off clearance as they have considered that the aircraft is not in flying condition. Sometimes also dispatchers/loadmasters have refused to send the aircraft if captain has decided not to take de-icing even they obviously should. How common is this? Any similar experiences?

Best Regards,
AM