PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Western USA
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2005, 01:16
Just another student

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I have certainly looked at flying out to Catalina and making a trip to Sedona, but I had no intentions of landing at either field. The thought of flying SEP 25 miles out over the Pacific does not fill me with joy. I don't fancy playing a game of hide and seek with a Great White Shark LOL

The thought of Mountain flying does excite me, but at the same time I find it kind of daunting. Mountainous areas are dangerous places to be, especially with limited experience! If the Archer could not handle the conditions safely then there would be no question, they wouldn't allow it I guess!

My first major trip will be up the coast to Oakland followed by a night stop at Grand Canyon International some days later. I have flown over the Canyon before when I was younger but didnt really appreciate it due to the shocking weather. Hopefully it will be smoother in Feb I hope I don't have to get out and push to help us take off

As for GPS...... I wish I could afford one as back up! I intend to really nail VFR planning etc hopefully that will stand me in good stead for my CPL! It does please me to see so many VOR's and NDB's on the charts though!