PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this Spyware, a virus or something else?
Old 19th Jan 2005, 14:14
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo, you missed my point.
I understand your point. I just believe it's wrong.

A comparison between VHS and betamax isn't remotely similar to a comparison between Windows/Intel and Mac (or between Wintel and Linux, Solaris, AIX, BSD and any of the dozen other major platforms that coexist on the Internet). The internet was running on a wide variety of different platforms before Microsoft ever realized it existed. All the protocols that make the internet work have nothing to do with the hardware platform you're using. And as much as Microsoft might like to lock us into it's own one-flavour Windows-centric world, it has tried and it can't do it.

So what does a Mac stop you from doing? Most games. DIY hardware updates, at least with a few exceptions. And, um, that's it. Microsoft support the Mac, so you can run Word, Excel etc. if you need to, and Virtual PC (written by Microsoft, by the way) will run most software written for PC. Iit's too slow for games - there's that word again - but fine for almost everything else. It's a long time since much non-game software was processor limited.

The fact remains that a Mac is, quite simply, a better solution for the inexperienced computer user than the piece of junk they'll probably buy from Dell. As for the experienced few, they can make up their own minds