PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some words of advice (hopefully) to wannabes at all levels...
Old 19th Jan 2005, 14:03
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Just to give you some perspective, I'm not a little rich boy and couldn't afford to do my commercial licence until I was in my mid-30's and had accrued enough assets to remortgage my home to pay for my training. When I did, pre-JAA, I did it as cheaply as I could including correspondence courses for the writtens and local flying school for flight tests.

Qualified when I was 36 and got first job when I was 38 in 1994. In the two years between qualifying and starting the first job and subsequently over the years as I decided to move up the employment ladder I have applied to many companies. In fact, apart from my present company, where I finish in less than two weeks, I have had rejection letters from every company I have ever worked for.

If there's anything to be learnt from my experience is that a rejection letter today has no bearing on tomorrow. What is important is that you maintain a proper perspective and cultivate good contacts. No one told you it would be easy and as some of you are discovering, it is even harder than you may have been led to expect. For every opening that appears for a wannabe there will probably be at least 200 applicants with similar experience and background as yourselves.

So, with that in mind you have to develop a strategy that makes you stand out from the crowd. Make sure your flying skills don't waste away. Make sure you have the personality and fortitude to tough out the bad times and also the personality and fortitude to endear yourself to the recruiters when opportunity strikes.

It's a bit like natural selection, the fittest (not just physical) will survive. Never give up and make those all important contacts. A one page CV should not be beyond the capabilities of any of you, especially one where all the relevant information stands out. If you have to ask how to do it then you are already behind the pack. The answers are all available here on PPRuNe if you know how to look.