PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the world need the A380 in 2006 ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2005, 10:53
barry lloyd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A380

One point which most people seem to have overlooked is that by definition, the A380 will not be flying into your local airport.The whole point is that it will fly into 'hubs' where intending passengers for the smaller towns and cities on our planet will change to smaller aircraft to complete their journey. Take a look at the companies who have ordered the aircraft, and where their bases are. The Chinese are very interested in the A380, and that, to my mind at least, speaks volumes.
The whole hub and spoke system has worked (generally) satisfactorily in the US for at least 20 years. The rest of the world, driven by population explosions in our towns and cities, is starting to catch up.
Don't be deceived by the talk of bowling alleys, gyms etc. Remember the big bar in the early 747s? Only VS (to the best of my knowledge) has kept them on the newer fleet of 74s. There are a few older models with them still fitted, but they are operated by state-subsidised airlines. The bean counters will make sure there are plenty of seats on board. They rule the world these days, whatever business you're in.
I'm old enough to remember the problems of the 747 when it was first rolled out, and all the naysayers who declared it would never fly/make money/attract passengers. History has given us the answers to that.
Whatever your opinions, let's accept it for what it is - a huge step forward in technology and industrial co-operation. As to the lower air fares - dont hold your breath!