PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANN dash 8 contract and Interview Help(Merged).
Old 18th Jan 2005, 22:30
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The money is very good
It would be not too bad if you were living in another country.
Osaka is the 2nd most expensive city to live in, (after Tokyo) in Japan.
Apartments are very much smaller than Westerners are used to....the sort of apartment you're going to get for about USD1,000 in Osaka will be old, extremely tiny, and a likely fire hazard!
A decent house will work out at about USD3,000 per month. This is for unfurnished places.
Utilities (water, gas & electricity) during winter - for a single guy - will run to approx. USD400 - USD450 per month, for a family of say 4 (my situation) the bill comes in at around USD550.
In Summer, you can knock it back by about USD150.

Petrol is currently around USD1.10 per litre.
Internet is USD25/month.

The USD is very weak against the JPY, and has been for some time now, puting the monthly groceries shopping bill at around USD1700 for us - and that is NOT eating extravagantly.
My wife is a non-drinker, and I might have a glass of (cheap Aussie, or Chilean) wine a couple of nights a week.
Wine, in fact, isn't too badly priced.

For those of us who live in Osaka, COSTCO at Amagasaki, offers a lot of "gaijin" (and Japanese) food and other products at very reasonable prices for Japan - the only problem is portions sold are "American" size, and Japanese refrigerators aren't made to handle that!!

The actual "experience" of living in Japan full time, for a non-Japanese, is a unique experience in itself.
There'll be lots of little things you won't be told how to do, until you do it the "wrong" way....another epistle in itself.

Life is generally more stressful here - not only because of the work factor - and 1 "OFF" day per week is NOT enough.
Japanese pilots fly approx 20% less than we gaijin in JAL do, and get a MINIMUM of 10 "OFF" days per month - and they were born & raised here.
As a foreigner living here, I believe we should be given at least an equal number of days OFF.

So getting back to the $$$'s issue - on an F/O's salary don't expect to save too much at all, unless you're willing to live like a refugee.