PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters & Geocaching
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2005, 18:20
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Helicopters & Geocaching

Howdy,

Are there any other pilots out there who are also Geocachers? For those who aren't familiar with Geocaching...
Geocaching has been called, "the sport where YOU are the search engine" and is currently in 213 countries. It is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.
You can learn more about Geocaching on the Geocaching Website (click here). Before GPS came along, "letterboxing" was pretty big in the UK (and still is from what I've read). Anyway, I've been thinking about creating a "Helicopter Only" Geocache... something on a pinnacle or rooftop heliport where you would need a rotorcraft to get to. Aircraft have been used in Geocaching before, but not as the only way to get there. The first person that found this cache (click here) got a $1000 prize. And this link (click here) shows the folks that left that Geocache using a helicopter for placement (note the Huey in their profile). There are some crazy cache locations, like this one (click here) in Antarctica (still unclaimed - I wonder why).

My questions and comments are... Are any other pilots Geocaching? What do you think of a helicopter only Geocache? Hmmmm... perhaps I just let too much of my geekiness slip out.

R2