PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old School Engineering versus New School Engineering
Old 18th Jan 2005, 07:37
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
The string theory (note: THEORY) gives us an explanation what a electron is made of, but it is still spinning around the nucleus. What you learnd at school is not wrong, but you can not teach kids the latest theories without beginning at the basics. Yes, some things we learn at school are simplified, but it would be to much for most kids to learn the latest news. You would have to explain them, that the string theorie only works, because it uses 10 dimensions, where 4 are visible and the rest are folded up. This is way to difficult for most people to understand - including me btw.

Lets take the centrifugal force as an example. I had long discussions with pilots about this concept. I find the world without that force way more logical, but most people fail to understand that concept, (probably because I am not able to explain it in a simple enough way). But ask them where the rotorblad would go, if the blade root would let go. Most will answer that it flies strait out because they believe that the centrifugal force will pull it away. But does it matter? No. Most pilots don't even bother about the physics of the ships they fly and they don't need it. We will not prevent any accident by making them learn something that they normaly just learn to pass the test. There are other things that are a lot more important to learn, to make flying save. But if we tell them, that what they learn is not really true, why should they learn it at all?
What they learn is enough to understand the basics, which is way more important then frustraiting them with explanations they will not understand because they miss the basics.

Anybody who is more interested in helicopter aerodynamics, should not be surprised, that the real world is way more complicated then the basics new pilots learn in ground school.
We should always be prepared to learn new things.

I read a draft of the FAA Helicopter Handbook and they do mention that the CF does not exist in reality, but I don't think that a lot of students will ever remember that footnote.

(Yes Shawn, there are other mistakes in there)