PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost comm prior coast out to NATs
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2005, 00:42
KC-10 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost comm prior coast out to NATs

Quick question for those of you who use the NATs on a regular basis...

I teach an instrument refresher course which is an annual requirement for USAF pilots. A question came up in my class the other day into which I hope someone on this board may have some insight.

The scenario is that you are enroute to your oceanic entry point, without having yet received your oceanic clearance, and you are unable to obtain the clearance due to lost comm (or any other reason).

We have been teaching that in this case, you are expected to continue on the route of your filed flight plan (rather than holding at the oceanic entry point, or turning around) and proceed onto your filed NAT. Then upon coast in on the other side, if still lost comm, comply with relevant state procedures.

A student in the class last week was, besides being a KC-10 instructor pilot, also an American Airlines 767 F/O. He told me that the procedure outlined above is true with Gander (heading eastbound).

However, he told me that he has been taught by AA that Shanwick (when heading westbound) would expect you to enter holding at your oceanic entry point, until such time that you could either obtain clearance, or have to turn around and land somewhere.

Is this correct?

Anyone on this board care to offer some guidance -- specifically references?

I apologize if this question seems rudimentary. While I did fly the 767 on trans-Atlantic routes for US Airways, that was several years ago. Now, flying for JetBlue, I don't have to worry about the NATs. And, I don't go overseas very much in the KC-10, either (only when I have to).

All my travel now outside of the U.S. is with my family on holiday.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Last edited by KC-10 Driver; 18th Jan 2005 at 01:32.