PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2005, 22:22
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

The big question of Auto VS "George", is what does G bring to the problem.
Personally, I will take Auto over G anytime as it suits my personality and I know that I can really on Auto to hold a heading and track an ILS accurately.

I think if your two pilots are very experienced and comfortable in the IFR game then you have a great combo. Should one be a 500hr joyride pilot with a fresh IFR; then he is almost useless. Give him more time and he comes good but at the start it is single pilot without an autopilot and a bucket full of stress.

How to get experience then? Take guys from the Oil industry into EMS ops. Almost everything is two pilot and guys will learn from someone definately more experienced.

The other situation in IFR and NVFR op's is to have a great situational awareness of the aircrafts position and what is going on around you as well. Being able to "step" outside the situation and transition to fundamentals at times of distress is critical. To be able to look down at the HSI and immediately know exactly where you are and what the highest obstacles are around you and where the safe exits are, is critical.

Always have a backdoor or a plan to find one.

Like SAS I have been caught by fog. Not at all fun and it is my worst fear in NVFR work. TS, +RA and Hail can be dealt with. When you are looking for the ground that isn't there, then that is terrifying.
How to get out.... That is a story for another thread.

It is a real shame that so many accidents occur in the US. It is a function of having the most helicopters in the world, but they are the newest and best equipped.
The US weather radar system is superb and when was the last time you guys did an NDB?