PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan Must Go
Thread: Vulcan Must Go
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2005, 16:28
Razor61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further to the original post, here is an update from the BBC.

Vulcan bomber plans 'fall apart'

Chris Ollerenshaw may only be able to move parts of the plane.

A landlord who bought a Vulcan bomber on the internet is seeing his plan to put it in his pub garden fall apart.
Chris Ollerenshaw, from Dukinfield, Greater Manchester, bid £15,102.03 for the former RAF bomber on the auction site eBay in November.

The plane has been stationed at Blackpool Airport for 21 years.

The new owner has discovered that the plane is in such a fragile condition it might be difficult to reassemble, and will cost £20,000 to transport.

Mr Ollerenshaw hopes the bomber, which last saw service when it was on standby on Ascension Island in the Falklands War, will be an attraction at his pub, The Snipe Inn.

Mr Ollerenshaw is being charged £1,000 a week rent to keep the aircraft at the Blackpool Aviation Centre.

The plane has been Blackpool Airport for more than 20 years
He planned to take the plane apart and transport the pieces in 12 lorries to his pub, at a cost of £20,000.

He said: "I went to see it and could put my finger through the panels. It's not in a good condition.

"It gets blasted by sand in bad weather and salt water in good weather, and it's been there for 20 years. I've got three options; scrap it, salvage parts of it or take the risk and take it apart.

"I think I will just end up with parts of it, probably the front end, seats and engine.

Engineers are meeting to decide whether the plane is transportable.

"Despite all this I still don't think it was a bad idea to buy it. People thought it was a cracking idea at first."

Mr Ollerenshaw is waiting for planning permission to station the aircraft in his beer garden.