PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Earliest Landing Slot at LHR
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2005, 15:59
strake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Earliest Landing Slot at LHR

Returning from Bangkok on BA a few months ago, Mrs Strake advised me that, according to our itinerary, our landing time would be 0530hrs.

"Hah rubbish!!" said I knowing such an early arrival was impossible for noise reasons. "We shall not arrive before 0602hrs" I declared with all the weary disdain of a seasoned traveller and pilot patronising a mere holiday-maker.

Imagine, then, my irritation as we touched down gently at 5:31am...

Yesterday, we returned from Miami with BA. Strong tailwinds, whilst causing havoc with the stability of my G&T, whisked us over the pond in seven and a half hours. Arrival time over London on the Map-thing showed 05:30.

"Well" said Mrs Strake "Another early landing". This time, I refused to comment as I detected a challenge in her voice.

However, just as we approached London, on comes Nigel to advise that we would be "Holding until just before 06:00 as we are not allowed to land at Heathrow before 06:02"

"SEE, SEE, I TOLD YOU!" I exclaimed in a manner rather unbecoming for a senior executive and forty-nine and threequarter year old.

So just what are the rules? Why are the good citizens of Hounslow allowed to be woken at 5:30 by Bangkok (and a few other Far East arrivals I think) flights but not early USA flights?