PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS 's to close (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2005, 15:09
lscajp

Dear all,

Just before I start I think I should inform you of my current situation. I am currently a third year on a UAS and have had an amzing time.

We have had a brief recently from Gp Cpt EFT, formerly Gp Cpt OASC regarding the "possiblity" of the UAS having there flying (EFT) removed. Option to consider is introducing an AEF style flying course.

I love reading many posts on this website as there is a lot of bitter feelings. I have seen them further up on this post. I loved the one regarding the fact that the "yooth" of today won´t be bothered to travel to a super UAS. Hahaha how I laughed. Of course we wouldn´t we´re lazy students!!! However, I must stress that the incentive to travel over an hour to the airfield is those green triangles. Without a set course yes your right, we would have no need to travel up early in the morning for met brief.

I agree with someones previous comments about removing those that study hard time consuming degrees. How can they be expected to compete with someone doing Geography?

With respect to the ATC and its removel, not a chance, it is too much of a "good thing". Its 50 million pound budget is a mere drop in the ocean, perhaps we should be looking at other areas to cut back on. I myself was never in the ATC but flying with an AEF nextdoor I can see the benefit it brings to the kids these days.

Yes we do go away on great expeds for nothing, again spending tax payers money. So you ask why have a UAS system, as the RAF has no need to actively recruit officers? It simple, because it gives people the chance to see what the RAF is like, in many areas outside of the flying. Someone in an earlier post said that their UAS cadets make too much noise etc etc in the mess. I do apologise about this but I know in out mess the other squadron members and senior officers will obviously pick on the easy targets. But equally they very much enjoy our company as many of them have a UAS background.

It is the best kept secret at University - no doubt there. Obvously the money could be better appropriated but until that day comes I will enjoy my last few months on my squadron and I hope that the years to come shall bring fun and experience to all those that become part of such a valuable and energetic organisation.