PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interview stuff
Thread: Interview stuff
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2005, 13:48
jamestkirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What top wear at interview

Scroggs, milt and puritan-(sorry, it's me again). Totally agree.

As an ex HR person, may i give a little advice to up and coming interviewee's. Wish i was one of them!

Anyway, please do not go for what the general concensus of opinion is about dress code. Quite simply your dress code has compliment your physical characteristics. This takes most people a long time to find out what suits them. Some people never find that niche and carry on wearing shell suits and that bling stuff way into their thirties. NICE

An employer will generally get his/her first 'gut' instinct about you as a prospective employee within the first 8 seconds of meeting you in an interview stuation. FACT!. Go to waterstones and get a book on interviewing and my above statement will be confirmed. (not nearly enough time to check all your labels and polishing techniques).

Refain from wearing stong after shave/perfume. This could remind the interviewer of a past interview where he/she was not impressed. his is called a psycholigical 'anchor'. i.e. a certain smell reminds you of a past event. Bit 'out there' i know.

There are many companies (not necessarily aviation) that are run by older managers etc. that, through tradition, would only consider a white shirt acceptable for a work environment. It still happens today and is more whidespread than you think. I know that the thinking behind it is a bit dull and plodding, but true.

Much more important is the gaining of rapport in the interview. Such things like:

1. Neutral handshake
2. Open body language
3. Matching and mirroring body langauge
4. Voice frequency and tone.
5. Eye contact and accessing cues.
6. Voice projection and style.

If anyone is going for an interview and is hasn't alot of experience in an interview situation, then PM me on any of the above and i will be more than happy to elaborate.

Remember, that alot of companies use the 'Structured Interview Technique'.
This is where you are asked about a general situation where you were an integral part of. You must however give a SPECIFIC example of your role in that situation. Sounds obvious but it's amazing how many people dry up or 'umm' their way through an example. It does not look good.

Don't lie, Don't be theatrical, dont go over the top (start crying and call your flying experiences 'beautiful moments')

My caveat here i that my experiences are with major blue chip companies and not in aviation. So please don't shoot me down in flames if you feel that an aviation interview is structured completely differently.

JTK