PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways - cadet program - SO
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2005, 08:31
Global Nomad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Europe one can expect;

a) Employment legislation contracts and courts that can enforce human rights issues.

b) Employers that appear more approachable (if only because they are culturally more similar), and therefore questions can be answered easily.

c) A decision that can be made knowing you have all the facts. If the facts don't appear as per your contract, at least you can revert to point a).

In the ME one can expect;

a) Your contract to be honoured because if it were to be breached, or even perceived to be, the fall out makes it very difficult for expanding airlines to retain/recruit pilots.

b) A very loosely worded contract. This of course opens many options, unfortunately not for you.

c) A great degree of difficulty to enforce or gain restitution from said contract should it be breached.

When a pilot has hours, licences, experience and no "bond" then he is a very tradeable commodity.

When you're a newbie with a 5 year bond/time lock obligation that only kicks in when the employee decides, then it's like having an open ended contract with a 5 year probation period tacked on the end.

People will que for this deal, just as many did for the SQ "cadet" program.

I wonder if just as many will be as disillusioned as the SQ expat brats were.

As I said before, no skin off my nose so 'let the buyer beware'.

By the way, just because Qatari CAA don't accept frozen ATPL's this week, doesn't mean to say they won't next week. I'm sure QR have that one covered.