PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Organising a flypast for my Father
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2005, 19:26
bizflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Organising a flypast for my Father

My father passed away a couple of days ago and we are organising his funeral for this coming Friday (January 21st) in North Norfolk. Dad was in the RAF (national service) just after WWII, however he felt and displayed a very strong interest and affinity with the servicemen of the RAF for the rest of his life. He loved flying and although not a pilot, had been 'unofficially' allowed to take the controls of both Dakotas and Halifax bombers on a number of occasions/ferry flights. His RAF service involved working in the tower/ATC at Dishforth and flying as a radio operator. During the war 'as a boy' he worked in the manufacture of Aircraft machine guns.

I realise the impossibility of organising any kind of official acknowledgement of his passing, however wondered if anybody could provide some advice in respect of a 'private overflight'. Can we, his family pay for such a thing, it almost wouldn't matter what type of aircraft but obviously getting a Dak would be a dream come true, it could of course just be a private cessna or similar. Maybe someone knows who might be flying that day in the region and we could pay for a 'diversion' over the church at a particular time? I realise this may seem a bizarre and ambitious question, but if anyone reading this can help or give advice in any way, I would be extremely grateful. Any payment (and I do realise it might not be cheap) could be made either to the owner/operator or a charity of your choice.