PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Urban Myths
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2005, 15:23
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helmet fire,

There is no such thing as CF, like there is no such thing as Santa Clause, but CF is a convienient way to describe an action, so we let it pass (I use CF all the time in discussions with everybody buy Lu!)

That being said, CF does counter coning, and flapping, and is very important in the behavior of the rotor, and the control of the craft. I think we could eliminate that myth.

The others are fun:

"Blade stall causes the blade to suddenly fly down and chop the tail boom off" Actually, stall does create large moment shifts, and the blade does fly somewhat down, usually, but not so as to cause any accidents.

"Phase lag is cause by gyroscopic precession" Nice one, it makes the list, let's add "and is always exactly 90 degrees"

"LTE is when you run out of power pedal" Yes, and lets add "and can be experienced by any single rotor helicopter."

"Full CAT A is the most cost effective safety enhancement we can incorporate into new helicopters" I actually infer this one in the one about engine fialure is the leading cause of accidents. let e edit this in, it is a good one.

"NVG are dangerous and should only be used by gifted military pilots" Yes, it goes in!

"Aeroplanes are fun to fly" Well, like sex, flying is a Yes/No thing, the worst day of flying is better than the best day of deskwork (the worst sex experience I ever had was EXCELLENT.)