PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetsGO Dispatcher
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2005, 05:11
faireydelta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In fairly assessing blame for the denigration of or destruction of pilot's lifestyles, then one would have to admit this spiral started well before Jetsgo's existence and could even be traced as far back as deregulation. As I recall, Jetsgo did not start the practice of paying airline pilots 60k for the left seat of a Boeing in this country. That began a few years ago with another low cost airline. Initially, that airline's arrival is what really upset the apple cart in this industry and agueably expedited Canadian's demise and of course helped bring about Air Canada's restructuring that forced even their pilots into curtailing career expectations (and the curtailing will continue, most likely).
Jetsgo is not the first airline of its type to require payment for training in one form or another. Southwest requires candidates to have type ratings before even deigning to look at their resumes. In Europe, Easyjet and Ryanair both bond their pilots up front. Young pilots there view paying for a type certificate as the next logical progression in the professional pilot's educational continuum ( beyond the basic Comm/Multi/IFR).
Jetsgo is alone to offer the chance to have the money refunded, with interest in return for a modest show of loyalty (2 yrs). Say what you will about ML, but he ran Royal for years without contracts or bonds and let's just say he learned the hard way what a pilot's handshake is worth...
So I really don't buy your aguement about Jetsgo being responsible for your sliding lifestyle. And blaming pilots for accepting work for less money (or for paying up front bonds) is to ignore the simple market forces at work in the industry at this time and is blatantly unfair to professional pilots who are merely caught up in the current turmoil and are just trying to feed their families.
Pilots don't set the renumeration scales/conditions they will work under, market forces and industry weakness/health do. Get that straight and maybe you'll stop ****ting on your fellow pilots. Remember, alot of the guys now at Jetsgo were previously working for charter/domestic companies earning six figures and had what they thought was their dream job...I was one. We all had to pick ourselves up, some of us in our late forties or fifties, dust ouselves off and start over. To expect anyone to voluntarily bow out of a career at its low ebb because to return to work for lower wages and poorer conditions would mean somehow dishonouring the profession or lowering everyone else's lifestyles (as you go on about) may sound like the noble thing to do to the obtuse, such as yourself, but that just ain't the way human beings behave.
So come off your high horse and just hope you'll never be faced with that kind of brick wall in front of your own high flying career.
And by the way, I'd sooner spend an evening plucking out my eyelashes one by one than go through the trouble of looking you up for an evening of revelry spent being lectured about purported "insider business practices" at Jetsgo.