PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in the region (Merged ad nauseam)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2005, 03:22
jonas_tind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tips to fly by in the caribbean

To Armac and Kerosen dreams.

I went down to the caribbean to knock on doors and try to get a job. The plan was to start north and go south all the way down to trinidad and tobago.
Well, I started in Nassau, Bahamas ( because that was the cheapest ticket from London....) and I did not get any further.
The first company I contacted said that if I paid my own type-rating they GUARANTEED me a paid position as a F/O.
I got my type-rating(be-1900,$15000), and returned, I had kept in touch with the chief-pilot the month I was doing the training telling him when I would be back, so they would not forget me.
When I got back they told me they did not need pilots anymore and showed me the door.......but maybe they would need me in one month, so I waited one month, then one more, then one more, then one more......I came to the Bahamas in june 2004 and I left just before christmas.
Since I spent all my money on the type-rating my caribbean adventure did not go any further.
I was in thouch with other companies, only one thing to say, alot of promises, not alot of action....
Alltogether I spent somewhere around $30000 on the whole thing without getting paid one dollar back.

And for you Armac, my girlfriend was travelling with me, and as a woman in the Bahamas she won't recommend it. They will always try to hit on you saying things that can not be mentioned here, BUT IT'S NOT NICE. And very few will respect you as a woman.

As for the rest of the caribbean I don't know, this list contains info on most airlines/charter companies down there; http://www.caribbeanaviation.com/airlines.htm

If you check out my other posting on this thread you will find some info about work-permit to.
And one more thing, living-expenses on the bahamas is something like ca. $1000 for rent, $500 for food(per person) and beer $3-6 per bottle in a bar.

Good luck.....