PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2005, 01:28
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another non-US opinion.
On another thread Nick and SAS made some comments in reply to my comments regarding this issue.

To qualify myself:
I did Ambo work in Canada for the better part of 3yrs. It was 24hr shifts IFR and NVFR. We responded to scene calls using S76A models and did patient transfers. 12 machines, 8 bases. To date no machines lost during a call.

Perhaps due to great piloting?
But I know that isn't so, because I think AA work tends to attract SOME (note: NOT ALL) of the lowest skilled aviators in our industry.
...and I worked there No doubt I will be arguing this comment for days to come.

Perhaps it was due to great machinery?
Nope..all were A models and most were without autopilots, all were underpowered and the most sophisticated gear was the green screen RADAR (which didn't work that well in my ride).

The reason in my opinion was two fold.

A) The Canadian Rules were adhered to explicitly and the company rules were even tougher.

The NVFR/IFR rules are very specific and you have to follow them to the letter. Unlike the BK117 accident in NZ that we discussed years ago. The company SOP's were designed to make the decision to go flying a no brainer due to the fact that the lowest common denominator might be captain.

They completely factored out the pilots abilities in the decision and stated that if you don't have this + that + and some of that; you just do not go.

Constantly the "management" would email and provide examples of accidents from the states. And they were always from the states. I don't mean to be rude to Nick but the comment from the other thread went something like,

"well what about the person who needs the service?"

Sometimes you just have to say SORRY, no can do.
It ain't worth hurting yourself or getting the "I'd rather be on the ground" feeling for someone you don't know. We are not hero's just pilots. The hero's are the paramedics and nurses and they will gladly tell you that

On average I think we would turn down 30% or more of requests.

B) The contract was a government tender.

Being prepaid and government sponsored, it made not going flying profitable.

Prior to the contract being issued, another company flew a 222 on the same operation but for a contracted rate. They got paid when they flew. Some of the stories about those days sent shivers up your spine. I think the most watched video at that base was Nick Lappos in "exposing the myths of ICING conditions"

Remove the motivator of profit and competition and you will have your accident rate cut in half.