PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS 's to close (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2005, 23:42
Anticlockwise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's aleady started with the amalgamation of the two UASs at Leuchars! The UGSAS operation at GLA, is too "expensive" but no feasible place to relocate them (Why not PIK?). They can't be moved to Leuchars, it's nearly full since the Firebirds arrived

Another moneysaving idea, brought to you by the Organised Fraudsters, sorry, Politicians, our elected representatives

Unless the powers that be, still requiring to tighten the purse-strings, change the system so that only those signed up for service get flying with the UAS? But I can't see that working, though it's probably the only way the bean counters would get "value for money"! Problems with QFI currency, only 2 students signed up, the other students all ground members...[I]Banter warning[I/] It would turn into a drinking club!!

As for the AEF/VGS. IF the UAS/AEF's were to close, I'm sure most VGS would be able to cope with providing AEF; however, some are already at max capacity. The flying offered by the AEF/VGS is, I suppose, different and the operation between each AEF/VGS will have differences, syllabus differences etc. Also, the experience for the cadets being at an AEF/VGS on an active station, seeing other RAF aircraft operating is, I feel, valuable.

I cannot understand why in some cases the AEF/VGS slots are not filled and why, for example, the OC the ATC Sqn, does not offer any unfilled places to other Sqns. As someone posted earlier, flying is what differentiates the ATC from the ACF/SSC. Unfortunately, some adult staff are either only in it for themselves or are not interested in flying I think the balance is wrong with regards to ATC and CCF AEF. The CCF seem to get more AEF slots than ATC. Given that CCF tend to go flying mid-week.

Flik Roll I think the old "H&S" caused the MVG winch to become a money eater. There was nowt wrong with the one I drive, although it was a few years back!? As for the unused airframes at SYS- there may be more as a result of the DART report. I can see them on eBay or some other auction shortly...

I can't see it, it'll be a bad day if it happens. Investor in people and all that and I'm sure Jock said the ATC was a core activity for the RAF, surely the UAS must be too?

The usual waiting game and rumour control begins. Ho-hum