PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilot's sex discrimination case. (Update: Now includes Tribunal's judgement)
Old 15th Jan 2005, 10:48
Arkroyal
Just a numbered other

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

A very interesting thread, this.

Spartacan:
What this couple in BA want is a very small adjustment in BA's working practices so that they can have time to bring the child up themselves.
They actually want their cake and eat it.

This is actually entirely healthy and responsible. Stronger family values benefit everyone.
If that was their true agenda, then one of them would give up work to achieve it. 75% of the population can only dream of a combined income anywhere near the single income of a BA captain.

How many of you out there benefitted from having your parents around a lot? Would you have wished it otherwise?
Well, I did, and so did my children (until divorce made it rather more difficult)

I try not to harp back, as times do change. But in my Navy days, the choice was clear, career or children (and unfortunately it was always going to be the mum's lot to decide)

My view is that personal choice, and I include a family in that, is a responsibility and not a right. Why on earth should companies (and I know BA could afford it, but smaller ones can't) pick up the tab?