PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT standards? Am I paranoid
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2005, 10:07
jonathang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBA, Where I do understand your point about common sense and I do agree common sense is important in aviation. The RT Phraseology has been developed from years of experience to prevent misunderstanding and I don’t believe we should deviate from it for no reason.

MBA: In terms of 'airfield information' or 'taxi information' I believe it is best to go with the latter as joining aircraft can also ask for 'airfield information'. This is why to save any ambiguity on either the part of the pilot or A/G operator it is best to use 'taxi information' and 'joining information' in my opinion.
Your argument to, ”to save any ambiguity,” is contradictory when the developed CAP413 RT is designed for that very purpose. Making up your own RT phraseology undermines that process. We all have to sing from the same hymn sheet for it to work so to speak.

MBA: Also I think what we must realize is the use of INFORMATION and INSTRUCTIONS is at the heart of this argument.
While I agree that it is common sense to most of us that Instructions infers control and information does not. That still does not support deviating from set RT Phraseology designed to prevent any ambiguity.

MBA: However even airlines and pilots make ever so slight changes to A/C manufacturers operating procedures.
However even airlines and pilots are regulated by authorities and pilots must conform to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for similar reasons as stated above.

I have attached extracts from CAP413:

ATCO RT Phraseology

1.5 Taxi Instructions

1.5.1 Taxi instructions issued by a controller will always contain a clearance limit, which is the point at which the aircraft must stop, unless further permission to proceed is given. For departing aircraft, the clearance limit will normally be the holding point of the runway in use, but it may be any other position on the aerodrome depending on the prevailing traffic.
Borton Tower G-ABCD T67 by the
south side hangars request taxi for VFR flight to Walden
1.8 Aerodrome Traffic Circuit

1.8.1 Requests for circuit-joining instructions should be made in sufficient time for a planned entry into the circuit taking other traffic into account. Where ATIS is
established, receipt of the broadcast should be acknowledged in the initial call to an aerodrome. When the traffic circuit is a right-hand pattern it shall be specified. A left hand pattern need not be specified although it is essential to do so when the circuit
direction is variable.

Walden Tower G-ABCD T67 10
miles south altitude 2500 feet
Wessex 1008 request joining
Instructions

Air/Ground (Radio) Phraseology

Departure

Seaton Radio G-ABCD radio check
123.0 and taxi information

G-ABCD Seaton Radio readability 5
runway 23 left hand circuit QNH

G-ABCD readability 5 also, taxiing for
Runway
23 left hand QNH 1022

Arrival

Seaton Radio G-ABCD 6 miles west
of Seaton request airfield
information

G-CD Seaton runway 23 left hand,
QFE 1021. Traffic is a Cessna 172
reported left base
I have highlighted in bold the relevant differences using proper RT Phraseology between ATC and Air/Ground fields.

Last edited by jonathang; 15th Jan 2005 at 10:17.